Monday, October 11, 2010

Sound of Music, Central Station Antwerp

Can I start with questions this time?

-Why is this so awesome?
-Why can't this happen more often?
-You know they've done this in Japan for a few years? {More of an informative statement}
-Can this be art?

----

I've seen this video before, about a few months ago. ^^ <--{Happiness}

It's a clip of a stunt used to promote a Belgian television show in which they've got about 200 dancers {after only 2 rehearsals} to dance in the middle of a somewhat busy Central Station in Antwerp. It starts with the music suddenly playing on the speakers and one man dancing to the music in the center of the station floor about fifteen seconds into the song. Then slowly, out of the works, more people join him. It starts to look as if life suddenly turned into a musical.

When I first saw this, I was actually giggling with happiness. I would have loved to have a chance to do something like that. It's the sort of thing that would probably put a smile on anyone's face, even just a smirk. Before I saw this video for the first time, I had actually watched a few stunts in Japan done by some die-hard Anime fans. When I see these kinds of videos, I sort of wish life was like that {but then quickly realize how fast it would get annoying}.

I'm not sure how this applies to my work. I don't even have any performance pieces. Or joy. Or dancing. I've got music. Maybe that's how it can...sort of...relate. My subject's not really the most sunshiney type of subject there is out there. O.o <---{My bewilderment}

But that doesn't stop stunts like these from being awesome.

So these are called flash mobs, by the way, and they don't have to be musical. Get a load of this one:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQG_TZBfLJU&feature=related


Hint: Now the real goal is to look for Carmen Sandiego.

No comments:

Post a Comment